Friday, July 1, 2016

guitar rig part IV: Lexicon mx400

guitar rig part IV: Lexicon mx400


Lexicon mx400
in the previous blog, I gave the mx400 a terrible review.Well, I have since worked this unit extensively. First , let me say the mx400 is capable of some awesome super high quality sounds. However, getting there is a task.The idea is to have 2 stereo multiple effects units each with 2 effects each in one box. In theory this 2 stereo in, 2 stereo out idea is sweet. in reality it totally stinks. 
I was assured by tech support at lexicon that there would be no loss of audio quality if I ran the outputs of effect A into the input of effect B.Well, as soon as I did I noticed a loss in quality and less parameters to edit on each effect and it seemed to amplify the noise (hiss) at the inputs. But worse, the mx computer based editor / librarian didn't work worth a darn. in fact it would only save 2 of the 4 effects per patch number. So if I brought up patch #11 with 2 delays on A and 2 compressors on B for instance, it would only save 2 of the effects (the 2 delays and ignore the rest). obviously useless. In a live situation you could not bring up the 2 delays and 2 compressors by calling up patch #12 only the 2 delays and the other 2 effects would be stuck on what last effects were loaded. completely retarded. if you cant save the 4 effects in a patch number and then cant recall those 4 effects with a patch number then what is the point of having 4 effects that you cant control?!?!Also, the effects didn't sound quite as clear.

I called lexicon and even sent screen pics and got bone headed answers as if they were reading the first line of the manual to me. Useless!!!

Solution
Finally I said screw it. I plugged one stereo input and one stereo output and completely ignored the other B in/out.I then set the processor to "stereo mode" as opposed to "dual stereo" mode. Suddenly, the hiss was gone, and incredible sounds came out of the unit. I was blown away . lush reverbs ,amazing delays and even the pitchshifter was cool. I thought I would miss the 2 other effects I paid for,but no I don't. It seems the 2 effects in "stereo" make up for it in sound quality.

Also, now mx-edit worked as intended. My suspicion is that lexicon knows its "dual stereo" multi input /output system sucks and doesn't work properly and to my ears anyway, hell no the effects do not sound as good as in simple "stereo mode". It's a shame really, just a few hours of programming could properly fix the problems. lame.Maybe this is why they never came out with the mx500 which they announced in 2007.

overall

Anyway, do not hesitate from getting one of  these boxes as the mx400 shines with super high clean clear audio quality in "stereo mode", just know that in the end for a guitar rig anyway, it is only good for 2 effects not 4.

No comments: